The Small Business Commissioner is committed to protecting your privacy and complies with the principles of the relevant data protection regulations.
Legal basis of the personal data we collect and use is based on the consent of the business, complainant or enquirer
- We will only collect personal data where necessary to investigate a complaint on your behalf. We will only request information that enables us to verify you the enquirer or complainant and to be able to contact you during our investigation. We will only use the requested information during our investigation and as part of any follow up activity as agreed with you. Where we issue a report as part of any investigation conducted on your behalf we will agree the use of your data and information at the outset.
Who we share personal data with and why
- We will agree with you the use of your data for the purposes of pursuing enquiries and investigating complaints on your behalf. It may be necessary for us to share your data information with the party that we are investigating on your behalf in order to fully investigate and resolve the matter satisfactorily. We will not share your information with third parties that are not directly involved with your complaint or enquiry unless agreed with you and similarly we will not share personal information with third parties for marketing purposes
How you can access and update your information
- To access and update the information we have about you please contact us.
Your data and your rights
- The data we hold on you is your data and we respect that you have the right to know what information we hold about you. We will deal with you directly, confidentially and professionally to ensure that your information is held securely and managed responsibly and will only share information by prior agreement and for the purposes of the Small Business Commissioner to be able to perform its’ duties and meet any obligations placed upon us.
How you can withdraw consent for us to use your data
- You can withdraw your consent for us to use your data and information at any time, however the withdrawal of such consent during the process of an investigating this may limit the Small Business Commissioner in terms of reaching a satisfactory resolution to your complaint or enquiry.
Links to websites
- Where we provide links to third party websites as part of our obligations to signpost users to information that may be of interest to you, this does not construe any endorsement of those products, services or individuals by the Small Business Commissioner.
Reviewing the Policy
When should privacy information be communicated?
Where personal data is obtained directly from the data subject, this information should be communicated when the data is collected.
- For data not obtained directly from the data subject, this information should be communicated:
- Within a reasonable period of having obtained the data (and in any event within one month)
- If it is used to communicate with the data subject, when the first communication takes place
- If disclosure to another recipient is envisaged, before the data is disclosed
- Paul Uppal is the Data Controller
- Suzanne Burke is the Data Processor
- Neil Cowley is the Data Protection Officer
Further information: The ICO code of practice on privacy.