The Small Business Commissioner (SBC) considers complaints from small businesses (that is businesses with fewer than 50 staff) about payment problems they are encountering concerning their larger business customers (with over 50 employees), making non-binding recommendations on how the parties should resolve their disputes.
The SBC is:
- free to use on a non-risk basis
- independent, but appointed by government
The SBC provides general advice and information to small businesses on matters such:
- resolving disputes and dealing with an unpaid invoice
- checking contracts and getting invoices right
- signposting small businesses to existing support and dispute resolution services.
The SBC will also consider and investigate complaints about payment issues between small business and their larger customers making (non-binding) recommendations on how the parties should resolve their disputes.
- The small business should raise their complaint by contacting the SBC directly and not through a third party.